Integrity, the wholeness of being

If there is any virtue that amazes me.. humbles me.. make me envy, it is INTEGRITY. I am yet to meet a person in real life who has it. We all live a life of compromise.

Look up integrity in dictionary. Integrity comes from Integral..Integer..being whole.

Often, when i wonder what is it that makes 'integrity' so appealing to me. Is it because i dont have it. Every odd character or hero in a film smacks of it. Yet it is so hard.. so hard to maintain one's integrity.
Being integral means having a clear vision being strong.. strong convictions... so sure of oneself.
I was so drawn to it after seeing the movie 'Scent of the woman' where Col. Slade says " I mean, the only class in this act is sittin' next to me. And I'm here to tell ya this boy's soul is intact. It's non-negotiable.....I'm not a judge or jury. But I can tell you this: he won't sell anybody out to buy his future!! And that, my friends, is called integrity! That's called courage! Now that's the stuff leaders should be made of. Now I have come to the crossroads in my life. I always knew what the right path was. Without exception, I knew. But I never took it. You know why? It was too damn hard. Now here's Charlie. He's come to the crossroads. He has chosen a path. It's the right path. It's a path made of principle -- that leads to character. Let him continue on his journey.
You hold this boy's future in your hands, committee. It's a valuable future. Believe me. Don't destroy it! Protect it. Embrace it. It's gonna make ya proud one day -- I promise you."


Of course, one needs to see whole movie to appreciate the finer aspects but 'Integrity' meant much more to me after seeing the movie. Something non-negotiable. See the wholes, priciples, values, courage, strength of character.. everything that you desire and envy and yet, we let go our values, without a fight. Compromise every now and then, finding one excuse or the other because, basically, we lack the courage ..the will to hold on to what we hold dear. Somehow the right path is always infinitely hard.

In fact, practically, it may seem silly or even quixotic to hold on to one's values. But come to think of it, that's all what we have got!.

I believe Life should be lived in way such that, you should be able to look back and see yourself intact. Like an Integer. Whole. Not mutilated in fractions.

Comments