why do maids cook so much?

I have often wondered. We have had like six to seven maids till date and invariably they all tend to cook dishes in large quantities. Initially i thought maybe the earlier ones were just dumb. It never made sense. Like when my wife or my mother cooks, it's just the right amount. Nothing is really wasted. But add a maid and suddenly the quantities just shoot up like we have a dinosaur in the family. I am not being stingy. I just wonder, why this waste? The funny part is that, very soon, you are busy clearing up old stocks that, you never get to the fresh dishes any more!

Then again, look at the economics. I mean , have you considered the possibility that, these maids probably dish out lavish feasts at their homes too. Nah! if they were so well-to-do, what are they doing at my house working for peanuts!

I have often brought this up with my wife when we dined and i am sure she must have preached their ears off, better still, rationed the resources too. Well, Looks like it never worked out. What? They don't listen to her anymore? Are they so dumb to see how much food is wasted?

I couldn't honestly get it. The logic eluded me until..!


The issue is one of simple perception. Very often, we are stupid enough to keep groping for answers within our limited our frame of reference. Our preferences and priorities.
Think about it from a maid's point of view. Her priorities. I realizse, (in my case) all the maids used to have food at our place itself. Now, naturally they are probably the last ones to have it too. How do they ensure that they have 'enough' to eat when their turn finally comes? What if the master of the house decides to have the extra bit of rice or maybe my kid loves a specific dish! Or maybe someone in the family skipped breakfast.

I guess their fears are only too genuine. The only risk reduction strategy i can think of is to cook 'enoughhhhhhh' so that 'enough' reaches you.

Comments