Building a Submarine SpaceShuttle

Yes. Ever built a Submarine SpaceShuttle? ........Ever?

Well, I have commissioned two!

Yeah yeah, i can hear you folks.
What?....What .. on Earth is a Submarine Spaceshuttle?
And ....Man! where the hell do you work?

Hmmm... I am a software professional. Well, without much ado, let me explain. Submarine Spaceshuttle was a term coined by my mentor. A person who taught me among many things, to laugh at the mess we create. I am not sure whether he got the idea of a submarine spaceshuttle from Jules Verne. I never cared to ask.

So, A Submarine Spaceshuttle.
You guessed right. Something that can go deep into the oceans and also take to the heavens. It did not make much sense to me then, when my mentor called our dream product, a Submarine SpaceShuttle! It actually dawned much later that the term had many layers to it.

Think about it, folks. Isn't this like, the most complex thing you can think of at the moment. Rocket Science and Deep Oceans... all fused into one!

But, besides the extreme complexity that amazes you, what strikes you is the extend of stupidity in building such a thing. I mean who would want such a thing?

Why did we built it?
After version 1.0 of any complex software fails to impress and all the stake holders start baying for your blood, you come back from the dead with a 2.0.
Studded with complex conflicting features to a point of overkill where none wants to use it. In fact the thing gets so complex and wierd that it scares the shit out of the end user, right? All it proves beyond mankind's stupidity is that such a thing can be built!

Yeah, the 'Submarine Spaceshuttle' is only a euphemism for the quintessential 'feature creep' that sets the version 2.0s apart.

Einstein once said "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

About ten years back, I helped my mentor ship one that never sold a copy.

Technologically brillaint but practically useless.

Comments